When We Are Closed
Call 999 in an emergency. Chest pains and / or shortness of breath constitute an emergency.
GP CARE WAKEFIELD is an extended out of hours service owned by all Wakefield GP Practices to cover the entire population of the Wakefield district.
It operates from 6 – 10 pm Monday to Friday and 9 – 3pm Saturday’s, Sunday’s and Bank Holiday’s. Telephones will be automatically diverted during operating hours. Outside of these times please telephone 111 or ring back during normal surgery hours if your need is not urgent.
Following triage of your problem, if deemed appropriate the service will offer you a GP appointment at Trinity Medical Centre or Pontefract General Infirmary.
There needs to be shared consent in place for the service to be able to provide safe care therefore please ensure you give explicit record sharing consent when accepting an appointment with the service. Patients who prefer not to give shared consent cannot access this service.
The service is not available for routine matters such as repeat prescriptions.
Routine care by HCA/Nurse
In addition to the above, during 6pm & 8pm Monday to Friday and 9am & 1pm on Saturday’s, Sunday’s and Bank Holiday’s, patients can be seen for routine annual review of Heart Disease, Diabetes, COPD, Asthma & Stroke but only if you are well controlled and your condition is stable. Other routine nurse care includes:
- Blood tests
- Routine ECG (not chest pain)
- Review of contraception pill
- Repeat depo injection
- B12 injection
- Removal of sutures and clips. For more information, please ask at reception.
New Hours for Walk in Centre to Meet Patient Need
(where you can be seen without an appointment)
- King Street Health Centre,
47 King Street,
Tel: 0845 121 1023
From the 1st November the Wakefield Walk in Centre on King Street will have new opening hours. The service will be available from 10am until 10pm 7 days a week.
The new hours mean the service is available later in the day until 10pm, and opens slightly later at 10am. The change reflects patient use of the service, which showed greater demand for the service in the evenings, rather than the early morning.
Providing same day support for patients, the centre can provide urgent care for an acute condition that may be dealt with in a single visit to a clinician.
The change in hours also reflects the new GP Care Wakefield extended hours scheme. GP Care Wakefield offers patients access to medical support across the district by calling their own GP number from 6pm until 10pm weekdays and 9am-3pm weekends and bank holidays.
Dr Phil Earnshaw, Chair of NHS Wakefield and local GP said:
“The change in times for the Walk in Centre service enables public access to city centre support, at busier times for conditions which should not require A&E.
“Alongside the new GP Care Wakefield extended hours scheme, we hope patients will use these services and choose to leave A&E for the most serious accidents and emergencies.”
Services offered by the Walk in Centre include:
Treating minor injuries and illnesses, including but not limited to:
· Wounds, e.g. superficial cuts and bruises, minor burns and scalds, insect or animal bites, risk of tetanus, minor head injuries- (except in under 2’s and over 65’s as in NICE guidance)
· Muscle and joint injury, e.g. strains and sprains, back pain, tendonitis;
· High temperature
· Headaches and dizziness
· Coughs, colds, ‘flu-like’ symptoms and hay-fever;
· Ear, nose and throat infections (e.g. minor infections such as sore throats and ear aches)
· Eye care e.g. conjunctivitis, styes, removal of superficial foreign bodies;
· Stomach ache, indigestion, constipation, vomiting and diarrhoea;
· Dermatology and skin complaints e.g. rashes, minor allergic reactions, scabies, head lice, sunburn
· Emergency contraception
· Post operation wound care
· Acute psychological conditions and crisis resolution.
Pharmacy Bank Holiday Opening Times
Asda Stores Ltd, Asdale Road, Wakefield, WF2 7EQ,
Tel: 01924 241810
Asda Stores Ltd, Leeds Road, Glasshoughton, Castleford,
WF10 5EL, Tel: 01977 788910
Boots UK Ltd, 26-28 Upper Kirkgate, Wakefield, WF1 1UP,
Tel: 01924 376181
Boots UK Ltd, 3-5 Beastfair, Pontefract, WF8 1AL,
Tel: 01977 703719
Lloyds Pharmacy, Trinity Walk, Marsh Way, Wakefield, WF1 1QQ, Tele:01924 301428
Tesco Pharmacy, Market Street, Hemsworth, WF9 4LB, Tele: 0345 6719384